Menu

How do you make two Christmas jumpers for less than £10?

Wednesday 5 December 2012

November was a bad month budget-wise, so when the time came to get my Christmas jumper ready, the coffers were bare.

I don’t knit and, frankly, I’m not that great with a needle and thread. So, I set myself a task – fashion two Christmas jumpers without resorting to buying them from a shop, blowing the rest of my monthly budget or bribing someone’s nan to knit one.

With £10 burning a hole in my pocket and Lewisham High Street at my disposal, this is what I came home with:

Ten sheets of felt (£2)
Two jumpers from the charity shop (£5)
One pack of bells (35p)
One pack of pompoms (35p)
One pack of googly eyes (£1)

I also rustled up some glue, paper, pencil, straight pins and a bowl (for tracing snowballs).

Jumper decorating supplies

After some creative contemplation, we got to work. Designs were debated – tree, snowman or reindeer?

In the end, drawing a reindeer was outside our combined abilities. Several attempts that resembled sausage dogs instead of Rudolph were abandoned.

Christmas shapes pinned to felt

Like good crafters, we drew our patterns, pinned them to the felt and cut out our Christmas shapes.

Glue shapes to felt

Next came the glue. Don’t use sequin glue. We found it at the bottom of the drawer and it doesn’t stick fabric to fabric (it was last used to glue sequins on a homemade Wonder Woman costume at Halloween).

Eventually, the hot glue gun came out and we were in business!

Adding decorations

Now for the fun bits. We got decorating. With only a limited supply of pompoms, it got competitive and some negotiating took place.

John used bits of felt to make a garland for his Christmas tree. Inspired, I used the felt to make a hat, nose, mouth, scarf and arms for Frosty.

Decorating Frosty the Snowman

About 15mins into the project we discovered that if you glue a bell to a jumper it doesn’t ring. Out came the needle and thread. It only took a few minutes and no skill to sew the bells on.

It was worth it because our jumpers jingle now.

Sewing bells on hat

Even the cat got excited about the bells.

Cat watching the sewing

We let the final Christmas scenes dry for a few minutes and then glued them to the jumpers. I put a bit of folded newspaper inside the jumper to avoid sticking the back of the jumper to the front.

Glueing Christmas scene to jumper

And here are the final products in all their glory. Roll on 14 December! We’ll be wearing these with pride.

Man wearing Christmas JumperWoman wearing Christmas Jumper

Tags:

11 Responses to “How do you make two Christmas jumpers for less than £10?”

1. Karen Bearman says:

These are great Alexandra!
    I’ve found some wonderfully festive felt robins in Wilkinsons for £1 each, and I’m going to safety pin them to a red jumper! Cheap and cheerful!

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/kids-range-decorations/wilko-robin-decoration-felt/invt/0322273/?VBMST=felt robin

2. Ryan says:

Hi Alexandra,
    Great Post!
    I’m from the Alzheimer Society of Ontario. We have a blog and would like to repost this for our site as a great activity for people with dementia. I wasn’t sure how else to get in touch with you. Please let me know if this is OK. My email is rmackellar@alzheimeront.org
    Thanks,
    Ryan

3. Alexandra Bono says:

Hi Ryan
    That would be great, please do re-post it!

4. Chris Wiseman says:

Most impressed well done, have blown my budget on a set of LED lights that work off batteries, the rest of the creation will have to come from my hoard of fabric and craft stuff, not hard as am a 3rd generation hoarder

5. Kath's mum says:

Well done you crafty people, I too had a problem buying a jumper I’ll only use once (being long in tooth!) so knitted a snowman brooch. Soo pleased with the result I’m frantically knitting more to sell on 14th to raise extra cash.

6. Audra says:

These are wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

7. Alexandra Bono says:

Chris I am so impressed that your jumper is going to light up. I need tips so I can do that next year!

Kath & Chris, please do post some pics of your handiwork on our Facebook page.

8. Jo Boorman says:

Well done you two!! goes to show where there’s a will there’s a way!! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us mere mortals!!

9. Phil says:

Hey that’s a great effort. I run a Christmas site (all year round work!) and if I may I’d like to link to this in a future blog post we’re going to do. On a side note, what are you doing with our cat? Joking, but our cat is identical to yours lol. i must send you a pic!

10. Alexandra Bono says:

Thanks Phil! Please do feel free to link to this post. No doubt there will be more blogs like this for Christmas Jumper Day 2013!

11. christmas jumpers says:

Really cool ideas. The sweater worn by the lady is amazing. The creativity came out completely. the combination is awesome. Thanks for the share. This is reasonable too. :)

The views and information in the blogs and comments are those of the individual contributors and not those of Save the Children UK. We do not guarantee or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or information contained in the blogs or comments. We do not accept any liability for loss or damage arising from the use of or reliance on any content that is accessed through, or downloaded from the blogs and comments pages.

Blog comments are submitted automatically; we do not edit them. But we reserve the right to remove any comment that we believe contains material that is obscene, offensive, inflammatory, defamatory of any person or entity, or that is otherwise illegal or inappropriate. If you wish to report a comment for any reason, email us at webeditor@savethechildren.org.uk